Friday, March 29, 2013

No limits! No excuses!


Time flies when you're having fun!  Or at least it feels that way since seeing the date on my last blog entry.  Sheesh, where did the time go? 

I am incredibly proud to announce that I completed my very first Spartan race this March! Actually, my first race of any kind...ever.  No way did I ever imagine I would do anything remotely like a Spartan race, but I did and the best part...I had a GREAT time!  I admit, I was very scared at first and nearly didn't sign up because I am still struggling with "how can a big girl like myself even begin to compete with the elite Spartan crowd"?  I even admit that I watched a ton of video's beforehand and searched for people my size as assurance that I wouldn't be the sore thumb sticking out.  Did I find any?  No.  LOL!  But screw it, I signed up anyway and it was the best decision I made thus far in 2013.  

There were tons of elite people, but there they were...my plus size buddies showing no fear.  Even more incredible was the woman pushing into her 70's, another pushing over 300 lbs and even people without leg(s) and/or arm(s).  Yet there they were, attacking the course with incredible strength, courage and determination.  It put me to shame for thinking I couldn't do the race because of a few extra pounds.  Now I really know what it means to say "NO LIMITS!  NO EXCUSES!"

The best part about the Spartan race for me was the camaraderie. Too often do we hear, see and experience the negativity of our fellow human beings.  (Especially in Atlanta traffic.)  So it was refreshing to see people, to see strangers, stop what they are doing to assist a Spartan in need.  We were allowed to help one another across some of the courses to avoid the dreaded burpee penalty, and everyone did exactly that. If anyone saw you struggling or looking on in fear, it wasn't but a second before someone you never met stopped and asked if you needed help.  Even when I was clearing an 8 foot wall, I suddenly felt someone's hands under my foot from the other side to help me safely down.  A man I never met assuring me that he has me and that he won't let me fall.  It was those acts of kindness that still have me smiling when I think back on the Spartan race. Who would have thought that of all places, a Spartan race intensifies your faith in humanity?

I took my time through the courses, helping people where I could and enjoying my time in the mud.  Felt like being a kid all over again.  I am so incredibly thankful to have found CrossFit, which has not only retrained me physically but mentally as well.  Never would I have done anything remotely like a Spartan race without CrossFit in my life.  In fact, I am looking forward to the next race!  Electric run, BadAss, Zombie run, Color run and the list goes on!  Here are a few pictures of my time as a Spartan...









The three amigos from left to right: Afaf, me and my husband.  We stayed together throughout the race and had the greatest time laughing, smiling and sharing burpee penalties.  (OK, burpees suck but they aren't as bad when you get to share them. Haha!) 

Afaf is a big part of my CrossFit family and has been a huge inspiration for me personally.  From the first day I met her, she has greeted me warmly and encouraged me when I needed it the most. Her CrossFit journey is truly amazing, even making her the first official spotlight athlete at KOCF, which you can read here.  Here is her incredible before/now picture, which she is kindly letting me share with all of you! Not only does she look amazing but she can outlift most of the guys I know!  Love that girl!




Remember my friend Kim?!  Well, she has found an amazing CrossFit gym back at home in California and is doing great! I am so proud of her and love this picture she shared with me where she is nailing the kettlebell swing with great form!  GO KIM!!!!

I want to thank you all for the encouragement, love and training you have all provided.  I love hearing everyone's stories as we all have one and truly appreciate every moment I have more than ever.  Never forget....

NO LIMITS, NO EXCUSES!
Anna Dubya

http://knockout-crossfit.com/ 


1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete