Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Never give up...




The hardest thing about diet and/or exercise for me is follow through.  As you saw in my first blog, when it comes to exercise, been there...done that...joyless.  Inspiration and enjoyment are so vital for me in keeping up with a new lifestyle that involves exercise.  Heck, that is why I love food so much because it gives me so much joy!  Nachos?!  Yes please!!!  But that is a love/hate relationship that we will cover in another blog.


I always thought of exercise programs as a form of torture and didn't quite grasp anyone's love for it.  "It will help you sleep better."  "It will give you more energy."  "It will make you feel better."  While I knew that could be true, my distaste for exercise programs was so extreme that I refused to see where people were coming from.  Even the availability of a TV wasn't enough to distract me from the torturous process I was enduring at the gym.  Well, at least for me it was torture often preceded with a temper tantrum.  


Crossfit opened up that closed part of myself to where I started to feel the addictive nature of working out.  I was actually enjoying it!  GASP!  Not just enjoying it, but looking forward to it!  DOUBLE GASP!  It was shocking but relieving to finally find something that would not only help me be a healthier me but something I actually enjoyed.  


Now admittedly, I still have days where I try to find an excuse not to go.  Not from lack of desire or motivation but because I have built a bad routine for years and it takes a long time to remove those bad habits and demons. Yet as soon as I make the first move to go, the motivation to do crossfit quickly takes over my negative thoughts and excuses.  I must also admit, guilt also keeps me going.  If I don't go because of some lame excuse, I will feel guilty the rest of the week because I know I wanted and could go, but I just "gave up" that day.  Ever hear the Linkin Park song "Given Up"?  Speaks volumes for how I felt about myself and where I was before crossfit.  Sure, it is depressing but it also keeps me motivated to never go back to that negative state of mind.


If you can conquer your own demon and make it to crossfit, you will see what I mean.  Everytime I go, I feel incredible, proud, elated and wanting more!  Imagine that!  I never thought in a million years I would feel that way, but even though my body says "done!", my mind says "more, more, more!". 


I spoke to two very inspiring women today at crossfit...proof that I am not alone.

  • A mom starting out at 250 lbs, barely able to lift a bar but now able to do the prescribed weights.  Dropping 50 lbs and still going strong!  
  • My workout partner this morning afflicted with weight, arthritis and previous injuries who not only pushed herself but pushed me to the very end.

Both women, so enthusiastic about crossfit; the people, the support, the challenges, the feeling they get when they are able to say "I am getting stronger."  "My pants are looser."  "I didn't care that I was the last to finish, I still finished."  These ladies struggle with their own brains the same way I do, but they still go, finish the workout and leave soaked in sweat, a huge smile and a tremendous feeling of accomplishment.  It is those feelings that act as a
 reminder, "Never give up. Never give in."

I won't,
Anna Dubya

www.knockout-crossfit.com


2 comments:

  1. Keep up the great work Anna! And please keep your blog coming! I'm hoping it will inspire me to start exercising soon! Do you have before during and after pictures you are going to post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be posting pictures soon! Embarrassed to see/find the truth, I actually didn't weigh myself, take measurements or pictures until the end of the 5th week. So I am afraid the progress wasn't well documented until recently. But I definitely plan on doing that now that I finally stepped up and started documenting my progress. Trust me, the inspiration is there...just go one day and you will see what I mean. :)

    ReplyDelete