Thursday, July 26, 2012

Partner up!

Remember back in school how you were told to partner up or find a group?  Well, I don't know about you, but for me...I hated those classes.  I moved a lot so I was always the new kid.  (Military brat)  Everyone was already friends and here I was, hoping and praying I wouldn't get left alone like a newbie loser.  

This week at crossfit has been those "partner up" sessions.  Thinking I would have to relive those childhood fears once again, I almost didn't go.  Especially when I saw the mega workout of the day (WOD), I couldn't help but fear I would hold my partner up.  Shoving those negative thoughts out of my head, I stepped up and showed up.

Well let me tell ya...not once did I relive the "left alone like a loser" feelings.  I walked in, stared at the WOD board for a little while, and was quickly asked "wanna be my partner?"  Each day, a new partner asking me to join them in their WOD journey.  Typically I am not shy, but because of my fitness level, that shyness overwhelms me due to my shame over my weight.  So I was truly thankful that someone immediately asked me to partner up, of which I eagerly accepted.  Of course, apologizing if I held them up but they each would smile and remind me "You are going to do great!".  

I found that my partners methods of motivation are much different then I have ever experienced before.  Per my previous workout experiences, I was used to people yelling and forcing me to do more.  That just made me hate what I was doing and never want to go back.  Kinda like a kid throwing a tantrum, "Don't tell me what to do."   Gratefully, each of my crossfit partners this week did the exact opposite.  Instead, they encouraged me to do more!  If I started to slow down, I was cheered on "2 more Anna!!", "You can do this girl!!",  "You are doing amazing!!".  If I had to stop for a breather, they would stop with me, smile and just keep reminding me that I was nearly there.  Not once did I feel like I was holding them back.  Even the instructors would chime in with "Great job Anna!!", making me proud that they approved of my form and effort.  

Learning from their tactics, I applied the same level of encouragement.  The workouts were tough, but the partnership and encouragement provided to one another helped us both through it each time.  Even finishing a workout today in less than 30 mins while using the prescribed weight!!!!  First time I was ever able to do prescribed weight!

Every time I think I have limits where I almost let the negative thoughts derail me, I find the exact opposite.  Don't let your brain convince you otherwise, because trust me, you will prove it wrong time and time again!

Happy to be your crossfit partner any day,
Anna Dubya

No comments:

Post a Comment