Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Skill work! (Building the goal list)

Let me first apologize for not blogging since last Thursday.  I normally do crossfit 4 days a week (M-Th).  I do other activities during my "time off", such as hiking, yard work, push-up poker, but I figured this is truly a crossfit blog so have been reserving it for the days I attack a WOD.  


The theme this week appears to be "skill work", perhaps in honor of the Olympics.  One of my favorite sports to watch during the Olympics is gymnastics.  So guess what appeared in our WOD this week?  The Hanging Rings.  Remember Vince Vaughn in Old School, on the rings while smoking a cigarette?  Ya, those rings, minus the cigarette and special effects.
Rings to our side, elbows locked, feet off the ground, slowly dip your body weight down. We did other things of course (Curtis P's and laps), but those rings are stuck in my head.  I was hoping I could at least lock my elbows and hold my body weight on the rings, but sadly I was unable to do that much.  What amazes me is how I feel as a result.  I don't feel disappointment or shame.  Instead, I feel enlightened.  "Aha!  There you are weak muscle!"  


I tried a few times, but realized where my weak link is....shoulders.  Not to worry, the crossfit team is always equipped with a challenging alternative.  Two bars about waist high, grip and dip.  Shaking and making the most frightening faces, I was determined to build those weak links!  I find the more I do crossfit, the more goals I create.  Goals so far:


1. 3 unassisted pull-ups, chin above bar.
2. Run a 5K, not power walk, run.
3. 5 ring dips.


That reminds me, I should mention an important goal....lose weight.  I most definitely have been losing weight!  I haven't weighed myself recently because I am also building muscle and the scale would bold face lie to me.  Yet, pants are looser, lumpy sides smoothing out, stomach shrinking, double chin fading away.  Pictures and more updates coming soon!  


Please remember that although the rings strike a "say what now" reaction, just try it.  Never say never.  Doesn't hurt to try it once and if you can't knock it out, go to the next best alternative until you find what works for you and where you are fitness wise.  


Working towards mad skills,
Anna Dubya

http://knockout-crossfit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment