Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A little friendly competition...

I hear a lot of people say that to go to the gym, they need someone to push them.  It is easier to go with a friend.  It is best if I have a personal trainer pushing me.  I totally agree, which is what crossfit is to me.  Today our workout of the day (WOD) hit me in a different way by bringing the natural competitor out of me to play.  I know I have said to go at your own pace, don't worry about anyone else, and I mean every word.  But sometimes, a little friendly competition helps.

Our WOD today consisted of time restrictions....do as many complete rounds as you can within an allotted amount of time.  Trainer yelling over the music..."10 minutes left on the clock!", "6 minutes left!!!", "2 minutes!" helped me switch gears.  Working out, I easily lose track of where I am if I have to keep count.  So we are given chalk to help us keep count in the mat.  Otherwise, I would probably end up doing long division in an attempt to calculate a simple number like "3 rounds".  Fellow crossfitters do the same, which I can't help but peak at.  Realizing I was slackin lackin, the competitor in me kicked me into gear.  

I did have a hulk moment when my shoe laces were coming untied while jump roping.  Why you slow me down shoe laces?!?!?!  

Incomplete rounds don't count in this WOD and I really didn't want to be the one left in everyone's dust.  So I pushed myself, shutting off that debbie downer voice telling me to "slow down" and "you are tired".  I even borrowed some motivation from my fellow crossfitters.  For instance, in the midst of my squats an all start crossfitter started her squats.  Watching her at the corner of my eye (I didn't want to be obvious that I was using her as motivation) I put my squats in sync with hers.  Not stopping or slowing down, I kept up with her and finished my squats.  Awww yaaa!  You would have thought I just finished first place in a 5K marathon by the way I was celebrating in my head.  Not to be rude, I told her thanks and took off for my sprint to which she returned with a knowing smile.  Dang it, she knew what I was doing!  Haha!  Guess my subtle squats weren't so subtle.

In the end, I am extremely proud of what I accomplished today.  Thanks to my fellow crossfitters!

A little competition goes a long way!
Anna Dubya

http://knockout-crossfit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment