Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Looking out for you...


I think at one time or another, no matter what workout you have done, we have all wondered this. I found this is why I need to remain in constant communication with my instructors!  Not just for the sake of preventing an injury, but so they are aware of my struggles and can help me find alternatives to achieve the workout my body needs and deserves.  


I have the bad habit of keeping my "problems" to myself.  It is hard for me to admit that I may be unable to finish a workout or a specific routine. So I would end up pushing through it, no matter how bad my form was or if I was on the edge of an injury.  You would think I would know better by now after P90X where they chant "Quality...not quantity".  In fact, prior to crossfit, I suffered many injuries.  Causing me to stop my workouts dead cold and putting me back to where I started if not worse.  Just to name a few: plantar fasciitis, twisted angle, twisted knee, pulled muscles, bad back, and so on.  Shameful, I know.  But it is the truth.


It was the instructor who took notice my first week as I struggled with burpees.  My form was horrible and my exhaustion was at its peek.  I could go down but getting back up looked like a baby trying to stand up for the first time.  Heart beating so hard that I felt it in my face!  The instructor took notice, asking I kick my feet in more.  Pushing past my shame and embarrassment, I was open and honest explaining that my basketball belly was creating major interference for my knees as I kicked them in.  Low and behold, the instructor had an immediate alternative for me on how to kick my feet back in.  An alternative that to this day allows me to rock out a lot more burpees then I ever imagined was possible, improving my form and endurance.  Skadoosh!


That was the beginning of my goal to be more open and honest.  Now, whenever I feel a pop, pull or something that feels out of the ordinary, I tell the instructor immediately.  Sometimes it is a matter of stretching it out, reducing the weight or applying an alternative.  Doing this allows me to achieve a better workout, prevent injury and helps me get closer to reaching my goals.  


While partner week is over, I find that I still have a permanent partner in my crossfit instructor who is constantly looking out for me.  In fact, now, I trust them more then I trust myself.  (Probably a good thing based on my history of self inflicted injury. Ha!)


Communicating openly,
Anna Dubya

http://knockout-crossfit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment