Thursday, August 30, 2012

Crossfit is family

I have never achieved or felt the connection with anyone I have worked out with until I came across crossfit. Before crossfit I always kept a distance, did my thing and went home.  Never sticking around to socialize or get to know anyone mainly because I felt self conscious, judged and embarrassed.  So I put a wall up.  From day 1 of crossfit I felt nothing of the sorts.  Instead, I was welcomed with arms wide open.  I know I have hit on this subject before, but I am bringing it up because someone said something today that made even my heart smile.  "Your crossfit family".  

This is the same person who after his workout took time to ask me how many push presses I had left.  20 left to go, he picked up a barbell and offered to do them with me.  I gratefully accepted his offer, picked up my bar bell and we rocked out my remaining 20 push presses with a 45lb bar.  A weight I thought I wouldn't be able to finish with because by round three my arms were feeling a little like jelly.  Yet, I finished strong and felt great!

Have you ever done a workout where the person that finishes before you has stuck around to help you finish by doing it with you?  Well, that never happened to me before.  Sure, friends have stuck around to verbally encourage me but I never had anyone physically encourage me by doing extra just to help me along.  I gotta admit, just that little extra has given me the biggest smile today that not even rising gas prices can take away.

Starting off like a community, crossfit has now become a new family for me.  A family that hasn't turned their back on me no matter what.  So folks, it is now day 4 of my new challenge and I am more energized then ever!  I can't wait to see where I am tomorrow as I not only get weighed but measured as well.  Tomorrow will be my "6 weeks later" marker.  Yet, no matter the results, guess where I will be next week? ;-)

Ohana,
Anna Dubya

http://www.knockout-crossfit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment